I said this the other day on Facebook, and someone asked what deliverance was.
Deliverance is when you’re truly free: when what had you bound has no power over you, when it does not move you and cannot tempt you.
How then, do we get free and stay free? yes, someone can come and cast the devil but unless we deal with the root causes of bondage, we will just end up worse than before (Luke 11:24-26). We do have some measure of responsibility in staying free. I don’t believe this has to be complicated.
The short answer on staying free is… not necessarily in this order…
1. When tempted, pray, and pray hard.
2. Separate yourself from the source of temptation.
3. Stay in the word
4. When tempted, and prayer seems hard, go into worship.
6. verbally renounce the thing tempting you
7. Deal with the underlying tendencies, circumstances, and experiences which left you susceptible.
8. Take responsibility for your own role in becoming bound.
This isn’t so much about trying to do it in your own strength but rather about running straight to God when temptation comes.